The 8th International Urban Design Conference is pleased to announce Professor Paul James, Director of the Institute for Culture and Society at the University of Western Sydney will be Keynote Presenter at the event being held Monday 16 November to Wednesday 18 November 2015.
Keynote Bio: Professor Paul James is Director of the Institute for Culture and Society at the University of Western Sydney. He is Scientific Advisor to the Senate Department for Urban Development, Berlin, a Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts, London, and Honorary Professor at King’s College London.
From 2007 till 2014 he was Director of the UN Global Compact Cities Programme. He is author or editor of 31 books. He has been an advisor to a number of agencies and governments including the Helsinki Process, the Canadian Prime Minister’s G20 Forum, the Commission on Reception, Truth and Reconciliation in East Timor, and the Papua New Guinea Minister for Community Development. His latest book is Urban Sustainability in Theory and Practice: Circles of Sustainability (Routledge). This work on urban sustainability is linked to a number of cities around the world such as Porto Alegre on slum reclamation, Milwaukee on water resilience, and Berlin on climate change adaptation.
About the 8th International Urban Design Conference
The Conference will be held at the Sofitel Brisbane from Monday 16 November to Wednesday 18 November 2015. Wednesday 18 being optional walking tours.
This years’ theme titled Empowering Change: Transformative Innovations and Projects will focus on inspirational changes in urban environments. The Conference program will include presentations on the operation of an urban design practice, industry standards and the Urban Design Profession.
Conference streams include:
- Building inclusive multicultural cities
- Eco cities
- Health & urban design
- Higher density urbanism
- Spatial / temporal changes in Chinese cities
- Rapid urban development in South East Asia, China & India
- Balancing the quick and slow formation of cities
- Using technology to change how cities work
- How will big data change the future of cities?
- Urban Design Practice
- The Hon. Ms Jacklyn (Jackie) Trad MP- Deputy Premier, Minister for Transport, Minister for Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning and Minister for Trade
- Prof Penelope Coombes – The People for Places and Spaces, NSW
- Mr Michael Dixon – General Manager, IBM’s Global Smarter Cities Business
- Professor Paul James – Director, Institute for Culture and Society, University of Western Sydney
- Mr Gavin Kain – Principal, Woods Bagot
- Professor Peter Newman – Professor of Sustainability, Curtin University
- Professor Edward Ng – Professor of Architecture, Chinese University of Hong Kong
For more information, and to register, please visit the website here.